Recipes & Online Recipe Resources
1. Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped raw vegetables (as available)
- 3 cloves raw garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- black pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper or red chili flakes to taste, optional
- 2 cans of beans, any type (mix of baked, kidney, black, etc.)
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped if whole
In a medium to large soup pot, saute onion and any other raw vegetables in the oil. Add spices, all the beans and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better, and is even more delicious a day or 2 later. To make non-vegetarian, brown 1/2 pound ground beef with onion in the first step.
2. Tuna Swimmer Soup
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 2 cans cream of mushroom and/or celery soup
- 3-4 cups water
- 2-3 cups chopped fresh vegetables as available
- 1 can beans (not baked - try black, chickpeas or kidney, for example)
Stir all ingredients together in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, adding more water (or milk) if it is too thick.
3. Homemade Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir. Then drop 1/4 cup of batter onto a hot, lightly oiled frying pan. Flip over when bubbles appear in the batter. Cook another minutes. Serve with butter, syrup and/or jam.
4. Fruit-filled French Toast
- 8 slices bread
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- peanut butter, optional
- 1 can fruit cocktail, or canned fruit of your choice, with juice or syrup
Mix eggs, water, cinnamon together in a bowl. Dip both sides of each piece of bread fully into mixture. Cook soaked bread in batches in greased pan or grill, approximately 2-3 minutes per side, until golden. Remove from pan, then spread on 1-2 teaspoons peanut butter (if using), then top with 2 tablespoons fruit cocktail including the juice.
5. Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/3 cups instant mashed potatoes
Heat butter, onion, salt, celery salt, pepper and milk to scalding. Stir in instand mashed potatoes. Continue cooking until smooth, stirring constantly.
6. What can you do with lentils?